Saturday, March 29, 2008

Update on A

The meds she was on were not doing a darn thing to help her and the side affects were terrible. I did some research on other treatment options so that we could try something new and found that there are some vitamins and other supplements that have helped people with Tourette's. Two specifically are 5HTP and DHEA. I have read that DHEA is a hormone so my doctor is looking into whether it would be safe for "A" since she has not gone through puberty fully. In the meantime we started her on a multi-vitamin and the 5HTP. She began taking it Thursday night.

We also cut sugar and caffeine out of her diet. We scoured the grocery aisles for replacements for the high sugar cereal she is used to eating and for healthy snacks. We found some organic cereals to try. One is a Wheat Puffs cereal put out by our grocery store, Big Y, which tastes like Sugar Smacks but is sweetened by organic wheat syrup. The other one is a "Cheerios" type cereal put out by Kashi. She likes both of them so it won't be too much of a hardship on her (this kid loves sugar!!). We also bought some snack crackers and fruit for snacks. My lucky husband gets all of the left over Easter candy. LOL

So yesterday was her first full day off of sugar and caffeine and on the 5HTP and multi-vitamin. I am happy to say that her tics seemed to be decreased last night, even after holding them in all day at school and she fell asleep after about 4 minutes in bed. EUREKA! I think we're on to something!

I am so glad that this seems to be working. The side affects from the first medication she was placed on made her really weak and tired and didn't seem to help her tics even a little bit. I am going to continue my research and see if I can find anything else to help, but we seem to be on the right track.

On another subject, i have an eye doctor appt today at Lenscrafters. I lost my vision insurance when my company was acquired by another one this past summer. I found that Lenscrafters accepts my new (really really bad) medical insurance so that will save me $70 on the exam and i found a 50% off coupon for the lens portion of my new glasses. I am excited to get my new glasses. Do they still tout that you can have your glasses in about an hour or is that somewhere else? LOL I don't want to wait for them! (I think I am actually going to buy two new pairs because they have some really cool frames there)

1 comment:

  1. How is she doing? I have been thinking of you guys :) Hope things are still going so well!

    ReplyDelete