Sunday, December 14, 2008

Our Christmas Recipes

I thought I would share the recipes that are special to me and my family at Christmas time. Enjoy!!

We made these recipes every year throughout my childhood. I now make them with my kids and I think they all came from my grandmother.

Butter Ball Cookies (aka snowballs to some families) I do a double batch

1 C Butter or Margarine (soft but not melted)
1/2 C Sifted Powdered Sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2-1/4 C flour
3/4 C nuts

Mix butter, sugar and vanilla. Mix in sifted flour and salt a little at a time until well mixed. Mixture will be very thick and hard to mix. After thoroughly mixed, mix in chopped nuts.

Chill at least 1 hour. Roll into 1" balls. Bake at 400* on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes. Roll in powdered sugar when they are still warn and then again once they are cooled.

Party Mix I do a double batch

1 lb butter or margarine (4 sticks)
2 tsp celery salt
2 tsp onion salt
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
5-1/2 C Wheat Chex
5-1/2 C Rice Chex
5-1/2 C Corn Chex
5-1/2 C Cheerios
1/2 bag of pretzel sticks
1 can mixed nuts

Put the nuts, pretzels and cereal in a roasting pan. Melt butter with seasonings and pour over cereal mix. Bake in 250* oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Creamy Fudge

1 C (6oz) Chocolate Chips
1/2 C Marshmallow Fluff
1/2 C chopped nuts
1/4 C butter or margarine
1/2 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 C sugar
2/3 C evaporated milk

Place chips, marshmallow, nuts, butter and vanilla in a bowl. Set aside. Combine sugar and evaporated milk in a 2qt saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Boil 10 minutes at full boil, stirring constantly. Carefully pour boiling syrup over chocolate mixture and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Pour into a greased 8" square pan. Chill until firm - about 1 hour. Cut into small squares.

The following is a family recipe that we use for gifts:

Kahlua

4 C water
4 C sugar
1/4 C instant coffee
1 vanilla bean with slits cut into it

Bring water and sugar to a boil and boil for 7 minutes. Add coffee granules and vanilla bean. Cool and mix with a fifth of Vodka. Pour into bottles for gift-giving. Best when made months ahead.

The next recipe is form the family of a childhood friend that I have been making with my kids.

Magic Cookie Bars

1 can sweetened condensed milk
8 oz chocolate chips
1/2 pkg coconut
1 C chopped walnuts
2 C graham cracker crumbs
1 stick butter

Melt butter and mix with crumbs. Press into 9x12 pan. Layer nuts, then chips, then coconut. Pour milk over top. Bake for 25 minutes in a 350* oven. If pan is glass bake at 325*

I have one more family cookie recipe that I can't find. If I find it, I will post it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment